Architecture meets landscape: the Helgeland Bridge
Helgeland is the southernmost part of the province of Nordland and was once the holy land of the Vikings. Today the RV 17 road leads through Helgeland as one of the most beautiful landscape routes. Shortly after Sandnessjøen one of the largest diagonal strut bridges in the world leads over the Leirfjord, the Helgeland Bridge. It connects the municipality of Alstahaug on the island of Alsta with the mainland.
The road on the island of Alsta leads over a long ramp to the Helgeland Bridge, which rises significantly in its first section. Accordingly, the two towers on which the diagonal struts hang are of different heights. Seen from the island of Alsta, the height of the first tower is 127 meters, the second tower 138 meters.
The longest span of the Helgeland Bridge is 425 meters, the total length of the bridge is 1065 meters with a width of 12 meters. The maximum headroom of the ships under the Helgeland Bridge is taken into account at 45 meters. In order to be able to absorb the vibrations of the Helgeland bridge and to ensure high wind stability, the large foundations have a depth of up to 31 meters. Because Helgeland is notorious for its stormy season. Accordingly, it has to withstand gusts of wind at a speed of up to 250 km / h.
The Helgeland Bridge, designed by engineer Holger S. Svensson, was built in 1989 and opened in July 1991. Until 2005, tolls were levied to refinance the construction costs of around EUR 20 million.