Architecture in Norway | The stone arch bridge Skjævelandsbrua
Since the year 1853, the stone arch bridge Skjævelandsbrua crosses the small river Figgjoelva. In the coastal region of Jæren, it connects the communities of Klepp and Sandnes near Egersund. The stone arch bridge Skjævelandsbrua is the first road bridge in Rogaland.
The beauties of an environment are often only a little off the official tourist routes. How quickly can you leave them unnoticed left and right of the track. One of these peculiarities is certainly the Skjævelandsbrua stone arch bridge, which leads over the small river Figgjoelva. She was initially an important link in Klepp for the young road, it now belongs to the cultural heritage of Norway and is in charge of the Norwegian Public Roads Administration.
The approximately 100-meter-long stone arch bridge Skjævelandsbrua is built mainly from quarry stone and stone slabs from the area. It was completed in 1853 and was intended from the beginning for vehicles, ie wagons and carriages.
Until the year 1966, the stone arch bridge Skjævelandsbrua functioned as a general crossing of the river Figgoelva, before it was replaced by the new motor road 44. Today, this is the route along Nordsjøvegen. As a result, the stone arch bridge Skjævelandsbrua was used only as a local access.
In 1985, we have fully restored the Skjævelandsbrua and added to the list of national treasures from of 2002. At first a small bridge house belonged to this bridge, which was demolished at some point.[wpgmza id=”43″]